Us3

Us3

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My FINAL Doctors Appointment...

It all started out with the dreaded words from the nice lady behind the counter...."Wait, you're overdue right?" to which I responded "Yep" with a very fake laugh...You'd think that the gal behind the desk at the OBGYN's office would know better right?

Finally the nurse came to get us and took us back to our room where she did the normal routine; blood pressure (still perfect), temperature, and listened to AJ's heartbeat (140 and healthy-yeah!) Then we sat in there for what felt like an ETERNITY for Dr.Zart to come in. I just sit in a gown with my list of questions as Jason talks about what car to get next and contemplating redoing our backyard deck. One might think he was trying to keep my mind occupied, but I know better :)

So, Dr.Zart comes in and feels my stomach, tells me I'm measuring 40 weeks, all looks well and sees my list of questions (Jason always says I ask too many questions, but it's just a thing I do!) She says to hold off on the questions until she examines me as she's going to try to answer all of them before I can ask. (She ends up doing a great job at this!) So, she examines me and gives me the sad look I was expecting while saying "Well...I don't feel any change, I'm sorry!"

I sit up and she starts telling me what to expect in the next few days. We stick to Plan B (Plan A would mean he'd come out tonight or tomorrow on his own) which is that I'll check into the hospital tomorrow night at 8:30 to start the cervix softening medication and not to expect that much will happen with that. She said that that will probably not start me dilating, but there is a small chance it could. I guess it works for "some people". Then she said assuming all is normal, they'll let me get up Friday morning and shower and then start the (dreaded) Pitocin drip thru an IV. She said they don't just give it all to you at once, it's gradual as labor should be. She said they also don't have a specific timeline on the epidural- that I can pretty much have it anytime I want to (THANK YOU!) I figure I'll do my best to get thru the pain without the drugs until it's totally necessary. I don't plan to be a hero, thats for sure.

Best case scenario is that AJ will be born sometime Friday afternoon- although she did tell me that I have to be very patient with this process (hahah! She doesn't know me well I guess) and that it could even take until Saturday??? I'm betting I beg for a C-section before we get to Saturday...

Speaking of C-section, she did warn me that with induction comes a slightly higher risk of C-section, but not to worry that she doesn't seem to think I'll need one. She said AJ is probably around the 8lb mark, but that was just a guess- that I could be hiding a much bigger baby. So many guesses!

So that's the scoop- Jason will be bringing the laptop to the hospital tomorrow so we'll try to keep this blog updated as needed.

Feel free to comment on things that can keep me occupied tomorrow as I know it's going to be a VERY LONG DAY!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! This IS exciting. I'm always happy to see a new post, but we're getting down to the nitty gritty now. I can imagine your anticipation, but know there are a lot of folks keeping good thoughts and close touch with what's going on with you guys. We look forward to any posts you can make and anxiously await to good news!

(What kind of car is J considering?)

Paul

ekaterina65 said...

aj wants to stay in a nice warm safe place, can you blame him? im sending you patience vibes. congratulations to you three! love-kat

Jenni said...

I'm so sorry you are overdue!!! Ugh I know how you feel though. Good luck with the plan - I hope you won't have to get a Csection. Although it really wasn't that bad, it is just a longer recovery. Its been 2 weeks for me this Friday and I'm still on the painkillers and trying to recoop.

I'm excited for you though!