Us3

Us3

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Routine

First I want to start out by saying that I know this will change- for better and worse- but I am happy to report that we have somewhat of a routine in our lives now. It's really nice because it allows me to get a few things done and also get some sleep.

Andy (yes, that what I think I'm going to call him) wakes up somewhere between 4am to feed and he usually goes back to sleep right away. Sometimes he falls asleep but is too active for me to put him back in his bed so we go downstairs where he sleeps in his rain forest bouncy while I snooze on the couch for a few more hours. Around 6:30 or so we're up and eating again. After he eats, he allows me a few minutes to brush my teeth, feed the dogs, and quickly chow down on Cheerios and orange juice. Then it's play time! He's awake for an hour or longer and we sit on the couch and talk- I'm teaching him his numbers and ABC's and we read books. It's fun because he's awake and happy and just takes it all in (well, you know what I mean).

From there it's hours of eating, sleeping, changing diapers and crying- he's not terrible at the crying, but it's certainly part of our day. It typically means he's hungry and only gets really bad if I have to make him wait. We're sticking to the 2 hour time block which he's been really good with. In fact, there have been times when he'll go 3 (if he's sleeping tho).

Our evenings have been rough. Around 5pm I start to cringe because he's still getting upset for unknown reasons at that time. There have been nights of 2+ hours of straight crying followed by 45 minute car rides (thank you Jason!) and other nights that we just have to wear the Baby Bjorn (BEST INVENTION EVER!) around the house to settle him. Each night is different, but somehow the same.

Typically Jason and I tag team eating dinner- Andy is not a fan of us eating together. We're ok with that at this point, but hope it doesn't last too long.

Then around 9pm or 10, I go to bed and Jason will hang with Andy for another hour or so while I try to get a head start on sleep. He'll bring Andy to bed, place him on the boppy on the bed and he usually will sleep a few hours before it's time to eat. Lately he's been sleeping until about 1 or 2am, wake up to eat and then go straight to sleep again. I'm only up for maybe 20 minutes depending on how hungry he is. Then he's up again around 3 or 4am and we do it all again.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

This actually sounds a lot like my day too. However, I have to say I felt so guilty when I read you were teaching him ABC's and reading to him! I must be a super bad mommy. LOL. But I do play the piano for him, does that count? Hehe.

We also have to tag-team dinner a lot. I have noticed that he seems to know exactly when we are about to eat (and cries), or right when I'm going to get on the computer. I swear he does not like the sound of the keyboard clicking when I type LOL~!