Us3

Us3

Friday, October 3, 2008

The Importance of Naps

Anderson has finally gotten into somewhat of a nap routine. We have learned that he needs one pretty early in the morning- 9am ish- and then a LONG nap-3 hours or so- in the afternoon. If he gets both, we're doing good and he's happy. Well, yesterday I learned JUST how important both naps are....

I had plans to meet up with some former co-workers for lunch at 11:30. AJ and I took the dogs for a long walk (in the Baby Bjorn of course) around 8:30am and by the time we got back we both needed to shower and get dressed and out the door. Well, that meant no nap; or at least I thought he could nap in the car on the way...

I tried to shower- I got about 3 minutes to do so before AJ was screaming. I put him under his Baby Einstein play mat that he typically loves and he hated it. So, I quickly got out and held and fed him thinking I could get a few minutes to dress and dry my hair. That only worked for a second, so I figured I should give him a bath and get him dressed really quickly so he could nap while I got ready. He WAILED while I took off his clothes, so I didn't bath him; just changed his clothes. Finally after he puked on me and I changed again, I got out the door. I wasn't looking or smelling good, but I got out. I left early so he could get some extra sleep. I thought he'd pass out once the car got moving- once again, no such luck! He just screamed and screamed.

So, sadly I had to cancel lunch because I just knew he would be awake and screaming at lunch. I know I did the right thing though because once I got home, he passed out in his crib for 3 hours! He was SUPER tired! Then he slept great again last night. Point is, he needs 2 naps!

As much as I was bummed to cancel lunch, I feel like at least I did learn that lesson- not to push it because then no one wins.

2 comments:

The High Family said...

I learned this lesson too with Ryan and from that day on, we didn't dare mess up his schedule...everything (unless it was a VERY important thing to do) was around his nap schedule....we were late most of the time but in the end we had a happy baby and sleep! LOL

Ryan was on that same schedule well into his 1st year with two naps...one in the morning and a long one in the afternoon. I hope AJ continues with it and you keep getting the rest you need. :)

Jenni said...

I'm such a bad mom. I don't have Preston on a strict schedule. His "morning" nap time is usually anywhere between 10am to 2pm. I just let him fall asleep when he's ready to. I can tell when he is getting tired and I try to help him along. Going for my walks in the morning is usually when he takes his morning nap because he will sleep in the stroller (after about .2 miles of crying lol).

I find though that if he cries in the car and is fussy, he is fine as soon as I get somewhere and take him out. He just hates his carseat. We took him to Red Robin once and though he cried all the way there, he just sat there and people watched while we were in the restuarant. I was really nervous though because I thought he would act up.

Good luck getting him on his nap "schedule".