Us3

Us3

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

So, it's not THROUGH the night but...

Ya, I think sadly it was a fluke that Anderson slept so well the past few nights. He certainly doesn't sleep "thru the night" yet. He does sleep better than he ever has and I think that is due to him liking sleeping on his tummy, rather than his back. Whenever I would put him in his crib on his back, he would either wake right up, or wake up within an hour or so. Now, we've been putting him in his crib on his tummy for about 4 days and he sleeps for a minimum of 3 hours at night (90 mins or so nap time). He has always enjoyed sleeping on my chest- I think it's the feeling of being secure- so this must be the same thing for him.

The only problem with this is that it's a bit scary for Jason & I. Before we had AJ we went to many classes at our hospital and they put serious fears into our heads about sleeping on the tummy. But I remind myself that 20 years ago most kids slept on their tummy. We also have a video monitor so I can watch AJ at all time if I need to. The other thing is that he is SO strong, I have no doubt that if he needed to, he could lift his head. All that being said, of course I still worry about his safety.

So, while he's not sleeping through the night, Anderson is sleeping in about 3-4 hour stretches consistently and he goes right back to sleep after I feed him. So, I am getting more sleep now that I have since having him. I am happy with this :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hi Kate,

I've read in several various baby tomes that breast-fed babies take longer to sleep through the night. Avery has done it a couple of times, but I've come to accept that until she starts on cereal in a few months it's the exception instead of the norm. Plus on those rare nights she does sleep through, I still wake up needing to pump! Seems a bit unfair :)

Congrats on being able to stay home and welcome to the club!!! I had always planned to go back to work but once Avery came along I knew there was nothing more I wanted to do but care for her full time. Surprisingly, our household runs way more smoothly even without my income. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this time with AJ!