Us3

Us3

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our First Play Group!

Today AJ and I hosted our first play group with some other moms and kids from our MOMS Club. It was really a fun time, but I learned a lot and realized just how much I don't know about being a mom.

At the play group, I'd planned to do a craft for the kids and have them make their own pizzas. I didn't know the exact amount of people who were coming or the ages of kids, but I knew they'd be young. I also knew that AJ would be WAY to young for any of this, but at least he could sit and play and see the kids.

The craft.... Well, once I figured out that most of the kids would be 2 years old, I had to think about what we would do?? I went to Wal Mart and got some foam beads so they could make necklaces (thankfully, everyone had girls). When they were trying to make the necklaces tho, I realized that of course these beads are choking hazards! Duh!! It hadn't even occurred to me. (Perhaps this is why it says for ages 4 and up???)Thankfully, none of the moms seemed worried and they helped their kids do the craft.

The pizza... Most of the kids were able to make their little English Muffin pizzas with a little help from their moms. Once they were assembled, I baked them for 10 minutes and without even thinking, I served them as is....without cutting them.... Again- I didn't even think about that! One of the moms just looked at me when I gave her the plate and I realized she wondered how she was going to cut this for her child! At that time, I said "maybe I should cut this?"

The other problem is that since AJ isn't crawling, our house really is NOT kid proof. We have stairs, but no gates; we have a BIG water jug on the floor for the dogs which one of the girls stuck her entire foot in and we have a big coffee table with pretty hard corners. Luckily, no one got hurt- it just meant moms were running around after their kids :)

We all had a great time at the play group and I'm looking forward to having it again, but I have learned many things for next time!

Oh ya- lastly- I will NOT clean my house before the play group...I will clean after :)

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Haha I love the last part of your post. "I will not clean the house before playgroup." Good idea. I probably would have been like you and super-cleaned before everyone got there because I have this thing about not wanting others to see my messy house. Haha.

Wow reading everything, I have to say I don't think I would have thought of any of those things either. I'm sure the other moms have "been there and done that" too and were understanding though. :)