Us3

Us3

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making Baby Food

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would be the mom who makes her child's baby food, but here I am! I absolutely love making AJ's baby food! I'd say I make about 70% of everything he eats. The only time he eats jar food is if we're out somewhere and it doesn't make sense to bring something I have made or sometimes at night I'll give him a jar of food that has a variety of things in it- for example, a chicken and veggie meal or pasta. For now, I am not making those foods, but I am thinking about doing it soon. The problem is that I don't know the correct ratios of food to use to make them taste good and be the right texture.

Here's a list of what I've made:

Sweet Potatoes
Applesauce
Pears
Carrots
Mango
Peaches

In the next week or so I'm going to make green beans, spinach, zucchini, and I'm going to attempt to do beans. I never know if AJ is going to like something I make so I try to give him a jar of something before I waste the time and food making something he'll just spit out at me :)

I have learned that if he doesn't like something to wait a few days or a week and try again as his taste buds certainly are changing. A while back he hated pears (as seen on the video) and now he eats them every morning.

I love the idea of knowing exactly what AJ is eating and knowing that I made it for him- even if that just means boiling it and pureeing it. I know its fresh and doesn't have any preservatives in it. I figure that soon enough he'll be eating junk food and candy so while I can control it, I will. Plus, making the food is easy and I can make a big batch at a time. Once it's pureed I just put it into ice cube trays and freeze it and then move it into Zip Lock bags. This way I only use it when I need it and it lasts for months!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Hello miss AMAZING! You rock for m aking your own food. Does it count that I have mashed up bananas for Preston once? LOL hahha.

I have also noticed that Preston's tastes change. He used to hate veggies but now he will eat them. Still working on the rice cereal though. H aha.