Us3

Us3

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Anderson's 4 Month Appointment

Well, we made it thru his appointment and we're finally back home. Phew...what a morning!

First, we started out with a GREAT night sleep- AJ only woke up twice (that I remember) and so we both got much needed good sleep.

I went to his appointment with a few questions/concerns that I wanted to talk with the doctor about. First, I wanted to talk about vaccines and what he was getting and talk about my concerns that I had last night. He pretty much told me that it would be worse NOT to get them and that there is no link whatsoever to autism. Now, I don't know if I completely believe that or not as there's just so many different views of it; regardless, I did feel a little better.

I also asked the doctor about Anderson's HATE for the car seat; he pretty much laughed, told me it was a phase (a LONG phase) and that eventually he'll grow out of it. I said that I'm sure he'd do better in a front facing car seat, but I know it's too early to do that. When I said that he pretty much jumped out of his chair to explain car seat safety to me. I KNOW I can't put him in a front facing seat, I was just saying that my life would probably be easier if I could... He suggested getting a convertible car seat- basically a bigger seat that can be either rear or forward facing as it may be more comfortable for him. We're going to need one anyway once AJ grows out of this one, so we may get one in the next week or so to see if that works...

The doctor then told me that Anderson is in fact NOT teething and to stop giving him Tylenol. He said that babies don't get teeth until they are 6-8 months old and that teething doesn't hurt them anyway. I don't know about that, but I'm not the doctor so I guess I will go with it. He said that drooling, eating his hands, getting a fever or running nose are not signs of teething. He said that babies are just very oral and put everything in their mouths.

I then told the doctor that Anderson is a tummy sleeper... You would have thought I told him that I put AJ on the roof of the car and then drove around with him!! He looked stunned! I know I'm not the only mom who's baby would rather sleep on his tummy right?? He then explained how unsafe this is and gave me a print out on SIDS and when I told him that AJ just won't sleep on his back, he said, "If you put him on his back he will". At that moment I just wanted to get out of there. I really do like my doctor, but there was something about today's visit that gave me a bad feeling. Anyway, we're still going to put AJ on his stomach because that is how he LIKES TO SLEEP! (and when he sleeps, I can sleep!)

Lastly, Anderson did really well with the shots; all things considered. He had an oral shot which he drank in record time. The nurse laughed at how fast he drank it. Then came the actual shots in the legs. AJ got 3 of them and he certainly cried and hated it, but it was very quick and once it was over, I fed him and he quickly calmed down. I think he'll be just fine.

Here are his stats:

Weight: 16lbs 13oz (90th percentile)
Height: 25 1/4 inches (75th percentile)


*** Jason is certainly relieved that he's gotten taller- he was really worried that AJ would be short and chunky)***

7 comments:

Heather Smith said...

Hey Kate,

The teething thing makes me wonder about your doctor. My mom is a nurse who works in the NICU so that means she works with really sick preemies and so she knows a lot about babies.

She said that teething does hurt and that when they start they try to chew on anything that they can get a hold of. She thinks that Anderson is starting to teeth. She's never known a baby who has teethed without pain.

Anyways wanted to let you know that. Hope everything's going good for ya'll

Lori-ann said...

Hi Kate!

I disagree with your doctor about the teething too. All three of my boys had terrible times teething and I honestly believe that it hurt them. But... it IS hard to tell when they start just because babies ARE oral and around 4 months start to put everything in their mouths and drool a lot, regardless if they're teething or not. That faze doesn't stop until they're around 2 years old. It's a long, drooling time! :)

My first son HATED to be on his tummy, while my second and third sons HATED to be on their backs. I had a hard time letting my second sleep on his tummy at first because we're not "supposed" to let babies sleep that way. But he was more comfortable that way - he was very gassy and unless he was on tummy, he would literally wake up every 15 minutes or just grunt and groan. So after a while I realized that while there are some risks, it was OKAY. Both of my younger boys STILL sleep on their tummy's. They just like it better.

*Side note* My first son didn't crawl until 10 months (tummy hater) but the other two were crawling by 5 months. Being on their tummy's strengthen their backs so much and they really wanted to get moving! So watch out... your son might be an early crawler too!

Lori-ann:)

Jenni said...

Okay I haven't read all of Lori-ann's comment, so sorry if any of this is a repeat, but....

First of all I was laughing all the way through your post. ONLY because I was laughing at how silly your doctor was. And how you described him almost jumping off his seat when you mentioned the forward facing carseat...the sleeping on the belly...LOL

Holy cow! Find a new pediatrician! That is what I think!

I know I'm not a doctor, but everyting about your appointment just seemed so...so....OPPOSITE of what your natural gut instinct is. Dontcha think? Especially the teething thing and the tummy sleeping thing.

Both Will and I have let Preston chew on our fingers (because it soothes him when he is really upset lately), and WOW he really chomps down on them. It actually hurts!! and lately I've looked his poor little hands and fingers after he's been eating them and they are bright red! So I know he is not just putting them in his mouth to suck on, he is CHEWING on them and trying to soothe his gums. I'm sure Anderson is the same way.


Ahhhh I'm so sorry about your visit. I think you should do what you feel, as a mother, is best. Take what the doctor said but really I think you know your child and know what is best. If he is a strong baby and no matter how you put him to bed he still ends up on his belly, well obviously he is more comfortable there. I don't know....I don't think they have ever proven what exactly causes SIDS. How crazy he gave you a huge pamphlet on it.

Its like you got all these slaps on the wrist for being a "bad mommy" today or something. Rediculous! kate you are doing fine.

okay now I am going to go read your last post about being stressed. LOL

The Moskal Family said...

Okay, so I read a post of yours awhile back where AJ rolled over in his crib from his back to his front. Well that is your proof right there that he's fine to be on his belly now! I asked Owen's pediatrician and she said as long as he's rolled over then his neck is strong enough to move if something gets in the way. UGH, I got so infuriated when I read about AJ's doctor. You're doing a wonderful job, and that little cutie boy you've got is full proof of that!

Check out the convertible car seats. We don't have ours in yet, but as soon as Owen can sit in a grocery store cart on his own, that carseat will get installed! WE HATE THE (reclining little baby)CARSEAT!!!! Only downside to a convertible one is that when they're sleeping and you have to take them out it can be bad :)

Donna said...

Kate...please don't let this one visit with the peds doc today have a negative impact on what/how you are doing. Clearly, this doctor WASN'T LISTENING to the things you were saying...it sounds like he went straight into 'REACT' mode instead of confirming your comments and concerns. While I'm not crazy about the things the doc said during today's visit, I'd be inclined to give him ONE more chance...just one! heehee If you don't feel comfortable with his comments at the next visit, I'd start looking for a different doctor...there's one on every street corner and I'm sure your friends can recommend a good one as well.

As for babies not teething until they are 6 months old...he must be in his first year of practice if he really believes this. All three of my children HAD teeth well before they were 6 months old...they didn't START teething when they hit 6 months old...they had TEETH by the time they were 6 months old! And it DOES hurt! I don't know if you ever felt the "discomfort" of having your wisdom teeth come in...those suckers hurt like heck! And that's us as adults feeling that pain. Imagine a little baby feeling that same pain but not knowing WHY he was experiencing it. Tylenol DOES help and you just gotta go with your gut and what works! That doctor's comments are just amazing ... amazingly crazy and scary... but take the good and sift out the negative and crazy stuff. There is a lot to be said for "mother's instinct." Go with it and know that you are doing a GREAT job!

We are all so proud of you and I agree with a previous comment you made on this blog...AJ owes you HUGE for Mother's Day! heehee
Big Hugs!

Unknown said...

Kate,
teething hurts! Whoever said is doesn't, does not know what he is talking about! When my son was teething ( actually popping the tooth), he was screaming for dear life, and the site where the tooth was coming had a little blood. Now, HOW can that not hurt? And WHY the baby calmed down after tylenol? So, yeah.
About immunizations :
I just read your previous post ( too late , I guess ) , but I made a decision not to immunize my kids after a reaction that my daughter got, and pediatrician refused to record it, yet , when I went to a different hospital ER and did NOT tell them that she received immunizations, they diagnosed her no problem. Pediatrician office refuse to comment on anything and the situation was never recorded. Now, how many of those un-recorded situations are out there ? Thousands . I started to research more and I really was shocked. I also noticed a huge difference in my son's behavior ( unfortunately, I fully immunized him until 4). And it took us lot's of hard work and time to reverse, somewhat effects of immunizations. I strongly recommend to everyone to research into side effects of immunizations and particularly spend time reading over the law suits. I would NEVER take a doctors word for it in US. Part of it , because I am from Ukraine, and our doctors say a completely different thing about immunizations. Our babies never get immunizations at the same time. At the very least they need to be 3 weeks apart, and the baby should never be immunized against chicken pox,. Chicken pox immunization wears out by the time they are 11, and then every 7-10 years FOR LIFE a person needs to immunize him/herself, because getting chicken pox after 13 can cause some very serious complications. Kids just fly through it. So, yes. I recommend to really research into everything and make your own decision. At the very least, if you still decide to immunize, then make sure WHERE your vaccines come from and that they are not given to your baby at the same time.

Unknown said...

Oh, year : for your doctor's note about babies not teething until 6-8 months : my son's first tooth was nice and sharpie at ALMOST but not quite 4 months.