Us3

Us3

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Dreaded Shots...

Anderson had his 2 month check up today which sadly included his shots... FOUR OF THEM!

Our day started out well, he was so happy. We got to the doctor at 9am and he did well with the nurse and the doctor. The doctor said he looks great, totally healthy and gave me some advice on getting him to sleep thru the night. He told me that Jason and I need to take 4 hour shifts each night to try to soothe him back to sleep. AJ needs to learn to soothe himself and NOT fall asleep while eating. The doctor said that when he falls asleep at the breast and then we put him in his crib, that he eventually will wake back up and not be able to fall soothe himself back to sleep without the breast again. Makes total sense to me and explains why I was up every single hour last night feeding him. He wasn't hungry- he barely ate each time- but he needed me to soothe him. The doctor mentioned that it could take a few weeks to get this down, but we need to put him to bed almost asleep; not completely asleep. We shall see... I know I've tried a million things, but if the doc told me to try it, I will!

Back to the shots.. After the doctor left, the nurse came back in with 4 shots. AJ was laughing, cooing, smiling- sooo happy and then BAM!!! The shots began. He was RED- almost purple- while she was giving them to him. Had this cry that I'd never heard before, one of obvious pain. It broke my heart to see him and know that there was nothing I could do. The one good thing was that it was over pretty quickly. The nurse left us in the room for as long as I needed to get him calmed down. I fed him and held him and just loved on him. Eventually he fell asleep in the car and for the most part has either wanted to be held or has been asleep all day. I've been giving him Tylenol which I think is helping.

Lastly, the question of the day....How much does he weigh??? 14 POUNDS!!! and he's 23 1/4 inches! Chunky Monkey!

2 comments:

The High Family said...

14 lbs?! WOW! He is a chunky monkey...that's some good mama's milk there Kate! Keep up the great work.

Gosh I hope is one of those babies that wants to sleep a lot after getting shots. Just remember that the next few days might be bad...you never know how he or his body will react to the shots...so expect the worse so you aren't overwhelmed. I am sure you will be fine though. :)

extra hugs and kisses from mommy is the best medicine he could receive!

Jenni said...

Haha that is what Preston weighed at his 2 month appointment too!! WOohoo! Yay for chunky monkeys! :)

Wow reading about the advice of getting your baby to sleep, I have to say I am SO guilty of doing everything wrong. LOL. But honestly, I just have this gut feeling that babies are still too young at 2 and 3 months to know how to soothe themselves back to sleep. I don't know. Maybe there are amazing babies out there that can do it, but mine sure can't. He has only just barely starting sucking his fists in thelast few weeks, so to soothe himself back to sleep? I don't know. I guess I can't knock the advice until I try it though.

Let me know how it goes for you though - I'm really interested.

I'm glad your little guy handled the shots okay. It is hard to see them cry out in pain.