Us3

Us3

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Operation Christmas Child

The holidays are coming and I think AJ is at the age where it's time to start learning about the real meaning of Christmas. Of course, he's 4 and so he is all about presents. I get that and I am ok with that, but it's time he learn that it's better to give than receive. I have always tried to explain to him that not everyone in this world has all the things he has. He understands the concept of "donating". We often go to the Goodwill together to donate things we no longer need or use.

I found this wonderful organization called Operation Christmas Child. They are a Christian organization that helps children and families in need all over the world. I decided that AJ and I were going do what we could to help out.

We decided to fill up 2 shoe boxes with toys, toiletries and other things and donate them. AJ chose one boy and one girl between the ages of 5-9. We don't know who the kids are or where they live, but we know they will be happy when they receive their Christmas presents from us!

For the boy we got socks, soap, toothbrush, jump rope, hairbrush, mittens, some Hot Wheel cars and a few other things. The girl is getting much of the same but with some princess things in there too:)

We put a note in each box that includes our address - we'd LOVE it if they wrote to us!- along with a picture of AJ and I, wrapped the boxes and will drop them off a nearby church this weekend. The website says we can track the boxes online to see where they go. I don't know how that works yet, but I'll find out.

I tried really  hard to have AJ donate a toy or two of his that he no longer uses, but he just did not want to. I get it. He is young. He doesn't fully understand. He got very upset when I asked him- I think he thought I was going to force him to give away his toys. But I want him to want to donate something so I let him make the final decision.My hope is next year he is old enough to realize how great it would be to donate something of his.

I love that we did this together because it really opened up the discussion of others not having everything he has and teaching him the importance of appreciating all the things he has.

Here's a picture:

No comments: