Us3

Us3

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Croup!

Knock on wood, AJ has been VERY healthy in the past year or so. Truly, he's been a very healthy kid all around. Of course he gets colds once in a while, but nothing major and typically they don't last too long. When he started school, I assumed he'd be continually sick. We've been lucky... until now.

AJ was with Jason most of the weekend and when I got him Sunday late afternoon, he seemed happy, but was losing his voice. This was new. I asked Jason and he said, ya, he'd been clearing his throat a lot lately, but otherwise, nothing. As Sunday night went on into very very early Monday morning, I noticed AJ began looking very tired, out of it and now he almost had no voice, but had this nasty seal like bark. I knew it... Croup!

So, Monday morning I called the doctor first thing- AJ had a fever the night before and very early morning and I knew he wasn't going to school and we needed to see the doctor. We got in at 9:45 and after he coughed for the doctor, she confirmed right away it was croup. She said we caught it very early, gave him some steroid pills and a lollipop and sent us home. She said that his lungs were clear, but that his vocal cords were swollen (loss of voice) and to take it easy that day. He was SUPER sweet that day- more than usual and was also very happy. But also kind of spacey.

Luckily, Jason was able to work from home on Monday so I went into work 1/2 day and then picked him up later that night. He seemed pretty good.

This morning, I brought him to school (I HAD to work) and told the teacher he had croup (the doctor told me they only keep kids home with croup if they have a fever, which his was gone 24 hours at this point) and she said, "Oh, ALL the kids have croup right now! It's really going around!" Good to know, I suppose....

I picked him up from school today and he was his normal adorable, ornery, stubborn lovable self :) The teacher said he was great and you'd never know he was sick.

No comments: