Us3

Us3

Friday, April 17, 2009

In an instant...

Sadly, my triathlon plans have been put on hold because I threw out my back a few days ago. It is a BIG bummer because you never realize how much you use your back for until you hurt it. The strange part is that I wasn't even doing anything crazy when I hurt it! I was on my way out the door to Body Pump and I bent down to get my workout bag and all the sudden it just hurt so badly that I couldn't stand up.

Hurting my back depresses me a lot because in an instant everything changed. Of course I know that it will get better and I'll be back to doing my regular things, but for now I can't work out, can't stand up completely straight, have a VERY hard time picking up AJ and I can't walk for too long.

I did see a Chiropractor two days this week and will go back again next week and thankfully each day it's getting better and better. He said that healing the pain shouldn't be a problem and I should be back to the gym in a week or two, but that I really need to focus on strengthening my back muscles so this doesn't happen again. I will do what I have to to get stronger, because I don't want this to happen again!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! Do you remember I did this a few months ago? It was back in October. I bent over to lift Preston out of his crib and couldn't....I threw my back out and it hurt SO bad! Iwent to the chiropractor as well and he pretty much told me the same thing.

Now every time I lift or bend over, I am VERY conscious of coming back up and where the pressure is. It is so crazy,like you said, how you realize how much you use your back. You feel so dibilitated when your back is out. I know how painful it is.:( And the thing that sucks is the only thing that will heal it is time and relaxation. Mine seemed to always feel better after a good night's sleep. I mean not totally better but each morning it would feel a little better. I know it was just from letting it relax all night long.

When I threw my back out, a friend came over to help out with Preston because I couldn't lift him (he was 4 months old). And when i was home alone, I was having to push him around the house in a stroller! LOL