Us3

Us3

Friday, August 22, 2008

When Will I Learn??

For some time now, I have been able to keep Anderson happy throughout the day and not terribly overstimulated... yesterday I did it again. It was a fun day, but we're both totally exhausted.

I had plans to meet a girlfriend for lunch at 11am down in Colorado Springs (1 hour drive with my Starbucks stop) and then had plans to meet up with another friend for dinner at 5:30pm also in the Springs. I purposely did this so I could see both friends and only have to do the drive once. What I hadn't really considered was how long of a day that would be for Anderson.

So, I packed up the car with extra diapers, wipes, and change of clothes and we left the house at 10am. Anderson was so good in the morning/early afternoon. He slept pretty much through lunch and while Joy and I did some shopping. She had her kids too (8 & 5) so went to a few toy stores and then just kind of walked around the outdoor mall and chatted. She had to leave at 2, so that left me three and a half hours to myself. Anderson and I walked around the outdoor mall some more- I decided at this point to put him in his Baby Bjorn to get him out of the car seat (stroller) so he could wake up. While we were walking, he was the hit of the mall. EVERYONE stopped to tell me how cute he was and ask about him. It was so nice to hear and so sweet. My only problem was that I think that people assume that if he's front facing in the Bjorn that it's their invitation to touch him!-NOT SO!

Anyway, after this I still had about 90 minutes so we went to a different mall in the Springs. They have an Old Navy so I figured I could waste some time in there. Keep in mind that since I don't have a home to go to during these many hours, I am feeding and changing Anderson in the car. He didn't mind, but I don't think he ate quite enough and was VERY off his routine (what little of a routine that we have).

Fifteen minutes before I'm supposed to meet Stacey for dinner, we're driving around and Anderson is WAILING! Just crying nonstop. He's overly stimulated and tired. Like the silly person I am, I think I can just drive him around for a few minutes, let him fall asleep and we'll enjoy our PF Changs... Boy was I wrong!

We hadn't even ordered our food at the restaurant and he was crying. Luckily, the place was loud and we had a table in the corner, so I decided to take him out of his car seat and have him sit on my lap. He was pretty good at this point and I was able to enjoy my lettuce wrap and diet coke. And then.. he was OVER IT! Before our main courses arrived, he was crying uncontrollably, fussy and just needed to be asleep- but he couldn't fall asleep or be happy unless one of us was holding him while standing..outside! Poor sweet Stacey was either sitting at the table eating alone or bless her heart, she would take him from me and walk him around outside while I shoveled a few bites into my mouth. I felt so bad for her as well as the other people in the restaurant and just wanted it to be over! I also wanted to enjoy catching up with Stacey and eating a nice meal!

Finally after about 30 minutes of tag team eating, he fell asleep in my arms. So, luckily we were able to sit down and talk for a little while and then we headed home. I thought that at this point, he'd just fall asleep in the car...again...WRONG! He cried NON STOP for 45 minutes the entire way home. He was just BEYOND DONE! And so was I actually- I was exhausted. So, we got home and I passed him off to Jason so he could change him and rock him for a while. Anderson finally fell asleep around 10 I think. Not the best nights sleep for either of us; he did sleep in his crib, but was up at least 4 times. Today is a new day- and we're keeping the day VERY simple :)

I learned yet another lesson...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the fix, Kate!