Us3

Us3

Monday, August 18, 2008

So proud of the munchkin!

Last night was a night I will not forget. It was Anderson's first night in his crib and he did SO WELL!

Jason and I had decided on Sunday that we'd had enough of the grunting, punching and kicking that Anderson does each night that keeps us both awake most of the night so it was time to try the crib. I personally was scared to see how he would do because he'd only been in his crib during the day a few times for about 30-40 mins each time. I wasn't so sure how he would do at night and I assumed by midnight I'd have him back in our bed. I figured with my lack of sleep when I heard him cry I would think it's just easier for him to come back to our room.

So, we decided to start pretty early in the evening to get a head start. I fed him and rocked him and tried to make sure he was good and asleep and then put him in the crib around 8:30pm. We had the sound machine in there and our video monitor (thankfully Jason talked me into getting the video monitor!) He was in there for a few minutes quiet and sleeping and I decided to take a nice relaxing shower as Jason kept the monitor in his office with him. Well, about 20 minutes later as I'm laying in bed Jason comes upstairs and the next thing I hear is SCREAMING CRYING from Anderson. Turns out he wasn't quite asleep enough. Jason took him and walked around with him a while longer and again put him in his crib. He didn't wake up until at least MIDNIGHT! LOVE IT!!

I got up with AJ at midnight and fed him and put him right back in his crib and I went back to my bed. Each time I did this (he only woke up 3 times last night) I ran out of his room to get out of there quickly hoping he wouldn't cry. He never did cry and I never did have to go back and soothe him.

The strange thing about last night is that as happy as I am that he did so well and as proud of Anderson as I am, I missed him terribly! I am used to sleeping with him and I was a little sad to not have him in our room. Not sad enough to have him back, but it was just a strange feeling.

The other thing is that I was TERRIFIED to have him so far away. All this time he's been with us, I've never been worried about SIDS - even though I should have been scared with him sleeping IN our bed- but now that he's so far away, I am a little more worried. So, last night I would wake up every so often to look at the monitor just to see his little stomach move up and down and then I would fall back asleep. I know this is normal and it'll get easier. This morning I decided to take the bumper off the bed just to allow myself to feel a little more at ease with this. Better safe than sorry, that's for sure.

We'll see what tonight brings us- if it's just as good or better or worse.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

haha your fears are so normal! Preston still sleeps in our room and even though we can get him to occassionally sleep in his nursury (either in the crib or swing), I still am afraid I'm not going to hear him cry (even though we have monitors) or he'll be too hot or too cold and I won't be there quick enough to help him.

I'm not worried about the bumper thing just cuz he can't even roll over yet and I make sure he is far enough away from any suffocation danger. but eventually when he is able to move around more I think I will take off the bumper. but its so gosh darn cute right now!

Good job on your first night away from him. I know it is hard. :(

The High Family said...

Way to go AJ! You are such a big boy already! Keep up the great work!!