Us3

Us3

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pee & Poop!

AJ has become completely obsessed with toilets lately. He loves to flush them and watch the water go around the bowl. Pretty nasty if you ask me, but I can understand the fascination (since he is only 20 months!) So, when I use the bathroom, I typically will ask him if he wants to go with me. He ALWAYS want to go with me.

This morning, we were reading a book about ABC's and we got to the letter Z and there was a picture of a zipper. He pointed to his zipper on his PJ's and he started to unzip them. I figured it was time to get dressed anyway, so I let him take off his PJ's. He was standing there in his diaper, and I said, "Do you want to go pee pee?" Of course his answer was a very excited, "YES!" - and he ran towards the bathroom.

We got in there and I took off his diaper and he just sat right down on his little boy potty. He would sit, and then stand, and sit and stand and finally, I told him, if he goes pee pee, he can flush the toilet. So, he sat down on his potty again and he peed! I could see on his face that he was really trying to pee. He was concentrating.

When he was done with his first little pee, he got up and I removed the little pee bucket (for lack of a better term) and dumped it in the real toilet. Then AJ got his reward.... FLUSH! He was so excited! I remember thinking to myself, "I hear of people who have to give their kids M&M's when they pee in the potty, but all I have to do is let him flush!"

So, we did this whole thing about 10 more times. A little pee, dump it in the toilet and flush....

I got a total surprise when he was sitting on his toilet, TRYING to pee (at this point, I think his bladder was close to empty) and he stood up again and there it was..... POOP! hahaha! Sorry to be so graphic and disgusting, but this is a big milestone! He POOPED in the potty! This kid is 20 months old!

I think it's pretty funny that the highlight of my day was the fact that AJ pooped and peed in the potty- but heck, I'm a mom! A very proud mom :)

1 comment:

Donna said...

This is SO exciting! I tried a little different (at the time) "potty training" method when Mandy was little. It was a book that came with a little potty chair and explained how one could potty train a child in one day...and it worked! Much like AJ's excitment with "flushing", the book talked about making the whole thing exciting and rewarding by giving the child the chance to flush things down the toilet and then putting the little bowl back into the potty chair. She had an accident or 2 over the next month but she was basically diaper free after that first 12-15 hours of focused training.

Good luck...sounds like he's doing just GREAT!